Saturday, March 20, 2010

T-Minus Two Weeks

If everything goes as planned, two weeks from now I should have a new iPad.  I ordered a 32-Gig wifi-only model last Friday morning and I requested in-store pickup.  Why 32-Gig and no 3G?

I figured it best to go with the middle-of-the-road memory option.  After all, half the 32-Gig on my iPhone 3GS remains unused almost a year after buying it.  I also didn't want to go "all in" on the first generation device; I'm sure I'll get hooked on this platform and will buy a new model every time Apple produces one.

Why the wifi-only option?  Two reasons.  First, between my home and places like Panera, I figure I'm in a free hotspot 90-95% of the time.  As a result, my iPhone always has wifi turned on.  Second, and perhaps most importantly, I can't justify paying AT&T even more every month for a data plan.  I already pay them way too much for my work iPhone and a family plan of four other devices for my wife and kids.  Way too much.  So if this forces me to work smarter with wifi, so be it.

I've been blogging about the publishing industry and the Kindle for 5+ and 2+ years, respectively.  iPadHound is where I plan to invest most of my blogging efforts going forward though.  I'll still write a new post every week or so for my Publishing 2020 blog but I've officially put my Kindleville blog on mothballs.

I was a huge Kindle fan for the first year or so but became disenchanted several months ago when it became clear Amazon isn't enhancing the platform.  I know Apple won't make that mistake, so I'm switching to the iPad.  I now refer to myself as a "recovering Kindle user."  I'm sure I'm not alone out there as the iPad is simply irresistible.

In the coming days and weeks I plan to post frequently about pre-release hype and then about how well the iPad delivers on my expectations.  I'm also active on Twitter, so be sure to follow me there for more frequent, shorter observations.

Let the countdown begin.  In 14 days I'll have $599 (plus taxes!) less in my bank account but I'll be as happy as a kid on Christmas morning...assuming Apple's pre-order system works as advertised, that is.

P.S. -- If you're wondering about the cute mascot in the corner, that's Ricky and he's one of our family's three basset hounds; the other two are Olivia and Betsy.

1 comment:

  1. Joe:

    Went to check on your kindle blog, I admit I don't go often, and saw you had abandoned it earlier this year cause you had bought an iPad. As for me, I am still using my Kindle. It does what I bought it for - to read books. No improvements necessary. I do have a Macbook for those times when I need to jump on the web.

    ReplyDelete